Tuesday, November 22, 2011

November Daybook {A heart full of Thanks and giving}


Outside my window...
it’s gray and drizzling. My windows are actually open and allowing a nice breeze to flow through. I cannot believe how unseasonably warm it is. Then again, it IS Virginia. Weather here follows no known pattern. (Unless crazy is a pattern.)

Thinking...
that this world can be a pretty spectacular place. There is so much going on for others and I love being a part of great things. Like over at Momastery. Glennon has paired up generous people with families who need a little assistance this holiday season and called it "Holiday Hands". Beautiful expression of how we can do more than we ever thought possible. (I don't know about your house, but lately, money here is a little tight. Sacrificing a great paying job to stay home these two years was an easy choice, but has put a strain on things. Now, of course, I am terribly worried that I won't be able to get back to a job... So prayers, please!)

Prayerfully pondering....
exactly what it is that God expects of me. Not an easy task. As I approach 40, I still wonder if what I have done with my life is enough. What IS enough? In regards to my family, my teaching career, my very self? I have turned to our dear Pope John Paul II and read some of his readings. I love this quote:
Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song.
Pope John Paul II
Hallelujah is our song.... Everything Hallelujah. Yes. This is what needs to stay front and center, as all other things will fall into place as they need to.  (I just need the patience required. That is where prayer comes in.)


Thankful for...
the time to be able to pray and think. As I said above, I fear that this time at home may come to an end sooner than I would like, so I KNOW how special this is. 

From the kitchen...
I am preparing dessert for Wednesday’s dinner with Tom’s side of the family. I am making white and dark chocolate bread puddingwith Kahlua sauce. For those of you that love chocolate, this is simply delectable.  

I am wearing...
the mom’s uniform of black sweatpants and a cozy long-sleeve tee. (One day, this will change, so I don’t mind…I love being comfortable, and it means that I am going to be playing on the floor.)

Creating...
a mess in the kitchen, Christmas presents, and Christmas cards. I am also creating a heart ready for the journey of Advent.

I am going...
to dinner with my in-law’s on Wednesday and then to my parent’s home on Thursday. So looking forward to spending time with lots of family. All of my sisters and their families will be together. This is rare! (Oh yes. And looking forward to all of the yummy food, too!)

I am reading...

Half the Sky  and traveling along with some of the strongest women in the world. It’s amazing how they have found their inner-strength amidst intense persecution and oppression.


The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe with Joe. How I LOVE this book, this series, this author. My heart has a special room for Narnia, and I have enjoyed seeing the wonder in Joe as we explore this fabulous place together.

Listening to...
Max giggle at Elmo and all of the Sesame Street friends. It’s amazing to watch him clap and start to follow along. My baby is growing up, and while I KNOW that it will happen, I am also hearing my heart break just a little. 

Around the house...
the baby-proofing continues. Gates and door latches and handle covers galore. It’s fascinating to me because we did not have to do this with Joe, and I was foolishly hoping that we wouldn’t have to. But with one too many cabinets completely emptied….well….it has to be done. For Max’s safety and my sanity.

One of my favorite things...
is that time in the morning when Joe is at school, Tom is at work, and Max and I can play. This one on one time with him is so very precious and I am ever so grateful for the chance to play and giggle and just….be.

Some snapshots of  our Christmas card photo-shoot:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...