Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Yarn Along {Knit Together}




Years ago, my Grandma Krystofik taught me how to knit. She patiently sat beside me and would guide my fingers around the needles and help me to navigate the tangle-y yarn. We laughed until we cried because I was simply...awkward. To be honest, I felt awkward in my body and knitting kind of reinforced that. But oh, I loved those times with Grandma, and would look at all of the wonderful blankets that she had created. 

I realize that I never should have stopped attempting to make my hands lose their awkwardness.... and am so glad that I have decided to learn this craft again. I wrote a little about it here


What is most amazing to me is that when I pick up the needles, the muscle memory returns, and I hear her voice and her sweet laugh. (Well. I also remember her cackle and her sigh and her questioning "Are you ready for some lunch now? Because I am.") 

So now, I am simply working on dishcloths. Focusing on the stitches. Trying to keep the tension the same. Relearning. Remembering. I have no idea if I will ever create something as lovely as a sweater....


As for reading, I have been looking through the Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison and learning new (interesting?) ways to cook vegetables. Really attempting to fill the bellies of my husband and sons with nutritious foods. 

Joe and I have been reading Stories of the Child Jesus from Many Lands. Good stuff here. We are also still reading and discussing The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

And I have also gifted myself the Magnificat. A lovely way to pray with prayers drawn from the Liturgy of the Hours. Tom and I truly do love Night Prayer, and are trying to get more into a rhythm of doing so TOGETHER. There is something so precious about the whispered words "God come to my assistance. Lord, make haste to help me." And our other favorite? "Protect us Lord as we stay awake; watch over us as we sleep, that awake we may keep watch with Christ and asleep, rest in his peace." What a lovely way to fall asleep...a way to shut out the world. And remember that we were knit together so beautifully....

Gratefully joining in with Ginny today:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...